Dr. Dhiraj is presently working in SNU in Dept. of Chemical Engineering of School of Engineering as Assistant Professor.
He is involved in teaching various courses like
- Numerical Methods,
- Computational Fluid Dynamics,
- Process Engineering,
- Process Equipment Design,
- Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics.
His areas of research and expertise include
- Numerical Modeling and Simulation,
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD),
- Polymerization Reaction (Free radical polymerization),
- Coiled Flow Inverter Microreactors (CFIM),
- Chaotic Advection,
- Process Intensification,
- Process Safety,
- Process System Dynamics and Control,
- Process Engineering,
- Heat Transfer - Heat Exchanger Design.
He is just completed DST approved Project titled "Numerical Study and Analysis of Chaotic Advection During Free Radical Polymerization Reactions in Coiled Flow Inverter Microreactor" .
Earlier he had worked in Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd. (DAE). There he had worked in 6 different nuclear power plants (NPPs) based on PHWR technology at 4 different sites throughout India varying from oldest (RAPS-1&2) to latest (RAPP-5) and smallest (RAPS-1&2) to largest (TAPP-3) NPP till that time. He had experience in General and Shift Operations, Pre-Commissioning, and Commissioning, and Technical Services. He had implemented and proposed various engineering changes to some existing systems which improved their efficiency, reliability and safety aspects. For which he was awarded outstanding promotion to Scientific Officer-D (SO-D).
I am actively looking for UG/PG/ PhD students/ Post-docs from relevant branches for following research areas and even for noval and emerging research areas including bio-technology.
1. Numerical modelling and simulation of free radical polymerization in chaotic advection based tubular microreactor geometries.
Mostly numerical modelling and simulation based in the beginning. Development of mathematical framework to optimize microreactor geometry to enhance chaotic advection for different monomer-polymer systems under different operating conditions. Based on the simulation results, setup a pilot plant to validate the results. Then Scale Out instead of scale up to exploit the benefits of small radial dimensions for enhanced mixing.
2. Coiled flow inverter (CFI) microreactor hydrodynamics study on mixing.
Extension of Project-1 but under non-reaction conditions. Numerical study.
3. Separation of O2 and N2 from Air (SONA) Project
To create an efficient system for creating lab grade O2 (also medical grade) and N2 for university. Currently numerical modelling and simulation of process is going on. Based on the results, prototype system would be operated and tested.
4. Air Water Generator (AWG)
Extension of SONA Project (No.3). Additional benefit while separating O2 and N2 from air to generate drinking water from the same air. Currently numerical modelling and simulation of process is going on. Based on the results, prototype would be operated and tested.
5. Brackish/Sea Water to drinking water technology development
Working on developing and demonstrating and effective, efficient technology with a possibility of scale up to generate drinking water. Thermal pump based technology is under consideration. Currently literature review of process is going on. Based on the results, process will be designed.
6. Pulsating Heat Pipe (PHP) study
To optimize PHP for maximum heat removal rate conditions to make it applicable for various practical applications like heat removal in supercomputers etc. theoretical as well as numerical study is planned. Experimental setup is getting ready.
7. Hydrodynamics study of packed bed and model development
The study is to develop or improve existing models to predict the dry bed, wet bed pressure drop and hold up and loading point for different unstructured packing. Experimental setup will be added soon.
8. Study of Micromixing on fast chemical reactions
Modelling and simulation of monte-carlo based code in matlab is going on for a first order and higher order chemical reactions. Extension to CFD modelling and simulation and conducting actual wet experiment is underway.
9. Protein structure simulation based on gene mutation
Using Biovia, molecular dynamics simulation of protein structure generation and stable structure will be selected. Based on new structure, change in its interaction with other proteins will be studied.
10. Any Process Safety. Security related Project as proposed by candidate.
11. Fuel Cells, Design of new types of batteries etc.
The PhD student should be
- Research oriented,
- Not Quitter,
- Not just hard working but smart working also,
- Ready to learn new things and ready to work in team with sportsman spirit.
Project grant (Rs.17.6 lakh) under Young Scientist Scheme (No. YSS/2015/002088) in 2015 for three years.
International travel grant for young scientist awarded by DST for attending conference Pacifichem 2015 (15th -20th Dec’2015) in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
ISCRE Poster Award for poster titled, “Improvement of the control of polymer architectures by means of a coil flow inverter microreactor” authored by D. Parida, C.A. Serra, Y. Hoarau, D.K. Garg, at ISCRE 22, 22nd International Symposium on Chemical Reaction Engineering, 02-05 Sep 2012, Maastricht, The Netherlands.
Got an outstanding promotion to SO-D in 2006 during work tenure in NPCIL.
University Topper in B.Tech. (Chemical Engineering), GGSIP University, 2003